To start with we must consider what’s good and what’s bad about natural stone flooring.
Pros of Natural Stone Floors
• Durability, it can handle heavy foot traffic
• Dirt, dust and allergens natural stone is easy to clean and doesn’t attract the bad stuff.
• Look, a elegant natural look that can be duplicated with synthetics like tile.
• Unique, each stone being a product of nature is unique, thus you have that one of a kind look.
• Value, by adding stone material to your home and increase the home’s value.
Cons of Natural Stone Floors
• Being natural there is no control or porosity, some stone needs to be sealed to prevent damage from some liquids.
• Polished stone, some examples can scratch easily.
• Chipping is common due to the brittle nature of stone.
• Natural look, you have no control on imperfections limiting the risk of running short of matching pieces before you floor is fully laid.
• Expensive, you may not have the budget to support the cost of this natural product.
Granite is very popular stone. It can be had in a variety of colors and textures and is one of the more durable choices for both floors and counter tops. The Ugly: the floor underlayment must be rigid and flat. Contour changes can cause this material to crack. Therefor installation is trickier. Taking extra time and labor can jack-up costs rapidly.
An ancient choice, as the architecture of classical Rome and Greece can attest to. Beautiful, but porous, at least more so than granite, making it susceptible to staining. Best for family or dining rooms, and requires that it be sealed, preferably by a pro. Marble is soft and can scratch easily.
Advantage to this material it can be used indoor or out. Doesn’t feel as soft as granite or marble and lacks the cooling effect of those stones as well. It has a matte finish and adds that rustic or ‘organic’ look. Good for homes occupied by pets and kids.
Limestone Floor Tile
Limestone is the remnants of coral and seashells, that give off the natural earthy appearance that is so popular with some. There is less variation in color and texture and gives a more uniform look. It is harder than most others such as travertine and marble. A good choice for the homey look. The bad, limestone can suck up water, not good for the outside. It is very slippery when wet and needs to be sealed when laid. It also requires re-sealing over time every few years to prevent stain damage.
Natural Stone Cleaning & Polishing & More in Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
After years of wear and tear how do you restore the floor to its previous look and luster. Part 2 will outline some helpful care tips for natural stone floors and countertops. Specifics will be pointed out. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Silver State Floor Restoration and call us for professional deep floor cleaning today!