Hardwood floors are considered an upgrade. They are a beautiful addition to any décor and no matter what style you are shooting for; they are complimentary. But hardwood floors can be a bit temperamental if you want them to last, they need diligent care and scheduled maintenance to maintain their vibrancy and pristine appearance. With that in mind, we at Silver State Floor Restoration would like to share with you about how to care for your hardwood floors and the maintenance they should receive so that you may enjoy your hardwood flooring for years to come.
Hardwood Floor Preventative Maintenance Tips
1) Control the dirt and debris. The hardwood floors should be dust mopped a minimum of once a day and as frequently as needed, especially in the high traffic areas. Dirt and debris that gets left to settle on the surface can cause friction when walking on it, which will scratch and scuff the hardwood floors.
2) Clean accidental spills. No matter what has accidentally spilled on your hardwood floors, should be immediately wiped up, especially liquids. Moisture will cause wood to warp and crack and if left to fester it seep into the porous areas and create conditions optimal for mold and mildew as well as cause water damage to the subfloor and beneath the hardwood floor panels. To avoid the damage, clean up the messes as they happen.
3) Avoid abrasive or harsh cleaners. Harsh and abrasive cleaners should be avoided at all times; including oil soaps, as they will cause damage after long term use. Abrasive cleaners will dissolve the finish on your hardwood floors. If the hardwood floors need cleaning or polishing be sure to use the manufacturer’s approved chemicals.
4) Move furniture carefully. When your furniture needs to be moved around, it is often done by dragging and sliding the furniture on the floors, but you must avoid the impulse. Be sure to get help when moving the furniture. For added protection install felt on the bottom of the furnishings to protect your floors against accidental slipping and sliding.
5) Vacuum hardwood on bare floor setting. If you opt to use a vacuum to clean the dirt and debris be sure that roller isn’t spinning and it is set to the bare floor setting. The vacuum’s brush can scuff or scratch your floor if it is spinning.
6) Avoid direct sunlight on hardwood floors. Long term exposure to the sun can dry out the hardwood floor and lighten the colors. Save the hardwood floors with curtains, drapes, or blinds used to keep the sunlight off for long periods of time.
Hardwood Floor Cleaning, Maintenance & More in Las Vegas Valley NV, Summerlin, North LV & Henderson Nevada
If your hardwood floors are marred with stains and you need to mop, always follow manufacturer’s instructions. If you do not know the specs of your hardwood floor, use a damp mop to clean the stains and immediately dry it up. Just remember to avoid soaps and harsh cleaners. To avoid leaving any kind of moisture on your floors, we recommend mopping and drying in a grid pattern. For professional care contact Silver State Floor Restoration and let our experts care for your hardwood floors.