Grout is porous in nature and when it is properly sealed it is far better protected, however, due to its porosity, the grout collects moisture contaminates, dirt, and other debris depending on where it is located. It can be challenging to clean as the grout continues to absorb everything nasty it comes in contact with. Today, we at Silver State Floor Restoration would like to discuss an effective option to keep your grout cleaner in between professional deep cleaning services.
Best Homemade Tile Grout Cleaner
When you are trying to make your tiled walls, floors, and counters clean, a thorough grout cleaning is needed. Fortunately, you can use this quick and easy method to remove pesky dirt and grime and make your tiled surfaces look renewed.
1) Prep the tile area. With hot water, spray the grout that is need of cleaning. Follow the grout line using a stiff bristle brush, such as a used toothbrush, and scrub in a circular motion. This will breakup and removes the surface level dirt and grime.
2) Develop a cleaning solution. Create a paste by mixing together two parts baking soda to one-part hydrogen peroxide or vinegar. Be sure to use water instead of vinegar because high acidity can stain the tiles themselves if your tiles are coarse like marble. Add a few droplets of dish soap, should your tiles come in contact with grease, as they commonly do in the kitchen.
3) Administer the cleaning solution. Wait for about 10 to 15 minutes after spreading the paste onto the affected areas of grout. To work its magic and work deep into the grout, this is an important step as it allows the cleaning solution.
4) Scrub tile clean. Scrub off any remaining dirt and grime lifted up by the cleaning solution while using another stiff bristle brush to scrub through the grout lines.
5) Rinse tile. Wash away the rest of the grout cleaner as you add a few drops of dish detergent to a cloth or sponge and use hot water. This will rinse off the tiles and grout as well.
Tile & Grout Cleaner Product Tips
When choosing to use a store-bought product it is important to use caution, though there is nothing wrong with using commercial grout cleaners or diluted bleach. However, with regular use, hey harshness of the products can easily erode the grout. Be sur to review the label carefully and note the cautions.
Maintain Clean Tile Grout
As mentioned, a grout sealer plays a major role if you want to better preserve the cleanliness of the grout. As it will prevent dirt and grime from entering and accumulating, a grout sealer will cover any pores in the grout. Wait at least a day to ensure that the grout is completely dry before applying the grout sealer. If you take this proactive step, you won’t need to worry about discolored grout for a long time.