There are numerous options for the materials used in homes or offices for various surface areas. Carpets, hardwood, tile and natural or man-made stone flooring can be found in many modern buildings. No matter your choice of surface covering, knowing how to care and maintain it and what to avoid is always a good investment to extend the overall appearance and longevity of your flooring investment.
We would like to inform the inexperienced with the dos and don’ts of natural stone surfaces for proper care in between your regularly scheduled professional services from Silver State Floor Restoration.
– Remove daily dust, dirt and sand from your stone’s surface.
– Attend to spills immediately.
– Use coasters under any beverage, especially if they contain alcohol or citrus. Many common food and drinks contain acid which can dull your stone surfaces. Marble, onyx, and travertine or more susceptible
– Daily cleaning of the top layer of dirt and debris is mandatory. Weekly deep cleaning is essential.
– Avoid placing hot plates or cookware directly on the stone, keep a dish pad or mat between the surface and hot items.
– Don’t use vinegar, lemon juices, or citrus or acid based cleaners. Cleaners like bathroom, grout or tub and tile cleaners should not be used.
– Don’t use abrasive cleaners such as soft or dry cleansers.
– Don’t mix bleach and ammonia, it’s a very toxic combination.
– Don’t mix cleaners together, unless directed per labels instructions.
Stone Flooring Cleaning & Care Tips
– Place area rugs in entry ways to protect your stone floors. Dirt, sand, and debris will be mostly contained on the rug and will prevent your stone floor from surface scratches.
– Frequent dust mopping, sweeps and vacuums are encouraged. Slow deterioration is caused by dust, dirt and grime.
– Damp mop your floors with just water more often than soap. When soap is used, service your stone floor with the appropriate stone designed cleaners, or a mild vegetable soap.
– Clean up spills quickly.
Stone Countertops or Bathroom Vanity Tops Cleaning & Care Tips
– Keep acidic products away from countertops, and attend to spills quickly.
– Use coasters underneath any beverage container. When wiped down, follow-up with a dry cloth to reduce streaking.
– Clean up accidental spills as soon as possible.
– Only use appropriate detergents designed for your stone.
Stone Shower Walls Cleaning & Care
– Avert soap scum build up by using a squeegee after every use.
– Remove soap scum with an approved detergent designed for your stone.
– Look over the grout and caulk lines, and if any need attention attend to it promptly.
– DO NOT use any other bathroom cleaners than the ones specially formulated for cleaning your stone’s surface as it causes corrosion.
Professional Stone Floor Cleaning, Polishing, Sealing & Restoration in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North Las Vegas & Henderson Nevada
Silver State Floor Restoration can service the natural stone surfaces throughout your home or office. For the deepest clean and polishing contact us to provide the necessary skill, equipment and detergents engineered for your choice of stone.