When you have tile in your home that has white grout, you may have noticed that it has started to look discolored. This can leave homeowners scratching their heads and questioning what the cause of this could possibly be. There are several reasons that you may start to notice your white grout is starting to look more yellow than it is white. Silver State Floor Restoration is here to talk about some of the reasons this may be happening as well as how it can be fixed so that you have your white grout back.
What Causes White Grout Discoloration
There are several things that can make your white grout look yellow. It is important that you have an idea of what could be causing it so that you can avoid it in the future.
– Body Oils: Your skin and hair have oils that helps give it the protection it needs. When you wear white shirts, you can often see the oils on the collars and other areas where your shirt makes contact with the body. The same can happen with your white grout. The grout can start to look yellow when these oils build up on it.
– Sealers & Waxes: While you may have meant well when you put that sealer or wax on your grout to protect it, there are several sealers and waxes that start to look yellow as they age.
– Grout Type: You need to research the grout you put in your home. Not all grouts are going to hold up as well as others. There are some white grouts that are going to yellow because that’s just what they do and one of them is white epoxy grout.
– Cleaning Products: Not all cleaning products are created equal. There are several cleaning products that have dyes in them. You will want to read the labels and steer clear of any cleaners that contain dyes and polymers as this can cause discoloration on your white grout.
– Iron: There are certain areas that have water supplies that have high levels of iron in them. If you live in an area that has a lot of iron, you may want to consider using a filtration system to help get rid of it, so it doesn’t cause your grout to yellow.
– Cigarette Smoke: Just one more reason to stay away from cigarettes. Cigarette smoke is another cause of yellowing grout. It causes yellowing in even for surfaces like furniture, curtains, walls and other household items.
Tile & Grout Cleaning, Sealing & More in Aliante, Desert Shores, Centennial, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
If you are struggling with grout that is starting to show signs of discoloration, don’t hesitate to call on the pros at Silver State Floor Restoration to come clean and seal your tile and grout so that you don’t have to worry about discoloration any longer. We will make sure your white grout looks white again. Call us today!