Hardwood floors are considered an upgrade; adding to the total home value and the charm and beauty. It offers fits any interior design and blends well with any color scheme. With wood flooring being an investment, it is a shock how mistreated the flooring often is, resulting in frequent repairs or even a total replacement. In an effort to keep your wood floors looking amazing far past their projected life expectancy, we at Silver State Floor Restoration has compiled a list of common mistakes homeowners should avoid.
Hardwood Floor Cleaning & Maintenance Mistakes
1) Don’t allow untrimmed pet nails to walk on the wood floor. From to time, your pet’s nails will grow long enough to cause discomfort when they walk as well as scratch the wood floor, especially as they get older. To keep your pets more comfortable and preserve your hardwood flooring, keep your pet’s nails trimmed.
2) Avoid letting pet stains sit on hardwood flooring. Too often people believe that having the hard surface flooring means pet accidents can wait, but moisture found in urine and feces can harm the wood floor if not quickly cleaned. If the accident occurred on a rug placed on wood flooring, both should be cleaned.
3) Don’t use harsh or abrasive cleaners to wash the floor. Never use bleach, ammonia, vinegar, or oil soap based cleaners as well as dish-washing detergent, powdered all-purpose cleaner, Endust, Pledge, or any type of wax or silicone base products on your floor. These options will result in messier result, damage to floor boards, as well as the stripping of the finish. Only use approved cleaners if cleaners are needed at alls
4) Utilizing steam mops is a mistake. All tools and equipment that involve water, including steam, need to be avoided. Moisture will cause water damage the floor boards and the high heat will inflict additionally damage.
5) Pouring cleaning fluid directly onto the floor should be avoided. As mentioned, wood floors do not handle water well, even if you intend on using the poured cleaned immediately, the large volume of liquid can easily penetrate in the cracks; creating swelling, uneven surface, and other issues.
6) Wearing abrasive shoes can damage hardwood floors. Cleats, high heels, and other such shoes should be avoided being worn on the wood floors. These shoes alone can cause damage but if the shoe is damaged, it can cause extensive damage to the wood floor.
7) Avoid sliding and placing unprotected furniture on the wood floor. Scuffs, dents, scratches and more are a few consequences of sliding furniture. Keep the legs of furniture protected with felt pads and it will help avoid dents and scratches. Be sure to lift any furniture you want moved.
8) Don’t neglect professional cleaning services. Every 3-5 years the wood floors should be recoated with a finish and as often as needed professionally cleaned and sanitized to avoid damage but keep a clean appearance.
Hardwood Floor Cleaning in Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
When it comes to the professional care of your hardwood floors, Silver State Floor Restoration has you covered. Call us today to get started on your hardwood floor cleaning.