In order to enable a hard-wearing and stain-resistant finish, porcelain tiles are fired at a very high temperature. However, accidents do occur. Surprisingly, lighter fluid can be used to remove many types of stubborn stains from porcelain tile. Today, we at Silver State Floor Restoration would like to list the most common types of stains and how to clean them.
How Do You Get Stains Out of Porcelain?
1) Grease: With a strong solution of household detergent or a solution made of trisodium phosphate and very hot water, use a stiff-bristled brush to scrub the stained area.
2) Shoe Markings: By mopping the floors with a cloth dipped in neutral floor cleaner diluted at one ounce per gallon of water, scuff marks by shoe heels and rubber burns by sneakers can be cleaned.
3) Coffee: In a mixture of water and baking soda, dampen a cloth and then scrub over the stain.
4) Paint: Using a cloth dipped in turpentine or paint thinner, remove fresh oil-based paint. With cloth dampened with warm water and a mild household detergent like dishwashing liquid for fresh water-based paint. With a soft-bristled brush, scrub the area.
5) Fruit Juice/Tea: Combine 1 tablespoon trisodium phosphate and 1 quart (2 pints) hot water to make solution and wash the area. Using warm water, rinse the area. Then, combine 3 tablespoons laundry bleach in 1 quart of warm water for a follow up wash and rinse again.
6) Oil: With household scouring powder and water, make a thick paste. Allow it to stand overnight after you apply the paste to the stain. Clean it later and dry it as well.
7) Mildew: Apply with a sponge a solution of 1 cup laundry bleach with 1 quart (2 pints) water. Use a commercial mildew remover that contains sodium hypochlorite and sodium carbonate if the mildew remains. Keep the room well-ventilated and wear gloves.
8) Hard Water Scum: Remove soap scum and soil with a solution of a non-precipitating water softener or baking soda in warm water.
How Do You Protect Porcelain Tiles?
1) Before trying to remove stains from porcelain, test scouring powders on a small area or a sample tile.
2) Use only the dilution of detergent that is recommended. It can be difficult to rinse with higher concentrations of detergent.
3) To act on the soil load, allow the detergent solution to stand on the affected area. Generally, 5-10 minutes is sufficient.
4) Use a nylon pad or a bristle brush to scrub the stain.
5) To remove the dirty detergent solution and stain, rinse thoroughly with clean, clear water. With a dry mop, clear the rinse water. A coating will form which is very difficult to remove if a dirty detergent solution is not removed and is allowed to dry on the surface.
Porcelain Tile Cleaning & More in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
If you are having trouble with stains on the tile and grout surfaces, call in the professionals of Silver State Floor Restoration to remove these tough stains, get a deeper clean, and ensure the tile and grout is properly sealed and polished.