Tile and grout require care and maintenance to preserve its beauty and condition. There are many types of natural stone and manufactured tile options that homeowners can choose from, and though many of the steps involved in maintenance and care are similar, some have specific details that are involved. Today, we at Silver State Floor Restoration would like to elaborate on the care and maintenance involved with terracotta tile.
What is Terracotta Tile
As it gives it a characteristic reddish-brown color, Terracotta, which literally means “baked earth” in Italian, it is made from natural clay. To a room, the clay tiles can give character to the space. Being extremely durable and resilient tile, terracotta tiles are designed to withstand the harshest elements. Terracotta will provide a beautiful floor which will be hard wearing, warm, stain resistant and easy to maintain in the event it is treated properly. Unfortunately, Terracotta is the fact that it has no glaze on the surface and can pick up and store dirt very quickly. We understand that taking care of your terracotta tile flooring is critical. Also, an important aspect of maintaining the natural shine of your floors, is terracotta tile restoration and cleaning.
Basic Cleaning of Terracotta Floor Tiles
Using a pH neutral cleaner, terracotta Tiles require regular cleaning. Do not use bleach based or acid-based product when conducting your cleaning routines since these cleaners are highly likely to cause irreversible damage. Make sure the surface is always swept clean of dirt and debris. If you do not have a cleaner specifically designed to wash down the surface of terracotta, stick with plain water. Once washed, dry the surface with a clean, dry towel.
Terracotta Cleaning Mistakes to Avoid
Where the basic cleaning of terracotta tile is fairly straight forward, there are common maintenance and cleaning mistakes that are made that can lead to severe damage, poor aesthetics, and the lifespan reduced. Below are a few of the common examples of the mistakes that can be made.
1) Implementing the improper cleaning products, such as those that are too harsh of a chemical or too abrasive of a cleaner.
2) Excessive use of a product. More is not better, and it needs to be diluted according to the label’s directions.
3) On the surface, you cannot flood the area so be sure not to apply too much water.
4) The water or cleaning solution is not changed often enough.
5) In order to remove any cleaner/chemical residue you need to make sure you finish a pure water rinse.
6) Make sure to dry mop, wet vac or dry with an old towel so that there is no residual moisture left on the floors, particularly in the grout lines, by leaving residual moisture on the floors.
Tile & Grout Cleaning, Sealing & More in Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
When it comes to deep cleaning, you need a professional to tackle the job. Additionally, professionals can offer extra services to ensure your tile is well cared for including sealing, polishing, and other services to keep your tile in excellent condition. Contact us today!